Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation GroupC Constitution 25.07.2017
- Name: The name of the Group shall be Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation Group
- Aims: The aims of Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation Group will be:
- To challenge the South Downs National Park’s housing allocation for Coldwaltham Meadow
- To prevent the meadow from inclusion as a housing allocation in the Local Plan
- To campaign for the conservation and appropriate management of the hay meadow in perpetuity.
Membership is open to anyone who supports the aims of Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation Group.
Ceasing to be a member : Members may resign at any time in writing to the secretary.
- Equal Opportunities
Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation Group will not discriminate on the grounds of gender, race, colour, ethnic or national origin, sexuality, disability, religious or political beliefs, marital status or age.
- Officers and Committee
The business of the group will be carried out by a committee elected at the Annual General meeting. The committee will meet as necessary. The Committee will consist of between 7-9 members and be composed of 3-4 officers and 3-6 members.
The Officers roles are as follows:
- Chair, who shall chair both general and committee meetings
- Secretary, who shall be responsible for keeping records of members, taking minutes and the distribution of all papers
- Treasurer who shall be responsible for maintaining accounts.
In the event of an officer standing down during the year a replacement will be elected by the next General meeting of members
6.1. Annual General Meeting
- An AGM will be held within fifteen months of the previous AGM.
- All members will be notified in writing at least 3 weeks before the date of the meeting, giving the venue, date and time.
- Nomination for the committee may be made to the Secretary before the meeting or at the meeting.
- The quorum for the AGM will be 10% of the membership or 10 members whichever is the greater.
At the AGM
- The committee will present a report of the work of the Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation Group over the year.
- The committee will present the accounts of CMCG for the previous year.
- The officers and committee for the next year will be elected.
- Any proposals given to the Secretary at least 7 days in advance of the meeting will be discussed.
6.2. Special General Meetings
- The secretary will call a Special General meeting at the request of the majority of the committee or at least eight other members giving a written request to the chair or Secretary stating their reason for the request.
- The meeting will take place within 21 days of the request
- All members will be given two weeks’ notice of such a meeting, giving the venue, date time and agenda and notice may be by phone, email or post.
- The quorum for the Special General Meeting will be 10% of the membership or 10 members whichever is the greater.
6.3. General meetings
- General Meetings are open to all members and will be held at least once every six months or more often if necessary.
- All members will be given a minimum of one weeks’ notice of such a meeting, giving the venue, date time and agenda and notice may be by phone, email or post.
- The quorum for the General Meeting will be 10% of the membership or 10 members whichever is the greater.
6.4. Committee Meetings
- Committee meetings may be called by the Chair or Secretary.
- Committee members must receive notice of meetings at least 7 days before the meeting.
- The quorum for committee meetings is three committee members.
7. Rules of procedure for meetings
- All questions that arise at any meeting will be discussed openly and the meeting will seek to find general agreement that everyone present can agree to.
- If a consensus cannot be reached a vote will be taken and a decision made by a simple majority of members present. If the number of votes cast on each side is equal, the chair of the meeting shall have an additional casting vote.
An account will be maintained on behalf of the Group at a bank agreed by the committee. Three cheque signatories will be nominated by the committee (one to be the treasurer) The signatories must not be related nor members of the same household.
All payments will be signed by two of the signatories.
For cheque payments , the signatories will sign the cheque
For other payments such as BACS payments, cash withdrawals, debit card payments or cash payments) a requisition note will be signed by two signatories, and held by the treasurer.
Records of income and expenditure will be maintained by the treasurer and a financial statement given at each meeting.
All money raised by or on behalf of Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation Group is only to be used to further the aims of the group, as specified in item 2 of this constitution.
9. Amendments to the Constitution
- Amendments to the constitution may only be made at the AGM or a Special General meeting.
- Any proposal to amend the constitution must be given to the Secretary in writing. The proposal must then be circulated with the notice of the meeting.
- Any proposal to amend the constitution will require a two thirds majority of those present and entitled to vote.
If a meeting by a simple majority decides that it is necessary to close down the group it may call a Special General meeting to do so. The sole business of this meeting will be to dissolve the group.
If it is agreed to dissolve the group, all remaining money and other assets, once outstanding debts have been paid, will be donated to a local charitable organisation. The organisation will be agreed at the meeting which agrees the dissolution.
This constitution was agreed at the Inaugural General meeting of the Coldwaltham Meadow Conservation Group on 25th July 2017